Pages

Monday, July 29, 2013

In Case You Missed it...

In case anyone missed it...

If you're not familiar with the work of Ms.Jenna, she happens to cuss now and again. But, the message remains very powerful. I completely agree, even if I have trouble being my authentic self. I recognize that it's a process, and am not exactly at the point of awesomeness that Ms. Marbles. And that's ok. BUT, I am further along, and that much closer to finding the real me.
Surprisingly enough, it was going through the extremely difficult times at the onset of  illnesses that I had the most growth. I started to see the friends who only appreciated my skinny, blonde, healthy, party-girl persona, and the ones who could care less if I was in sweats.  Even the family members who were using me for their own selfish ends; the ones I was no longer able to do favors for. 
It has been a very painful (in more ways than one) decade. Following almost as equally painful teen years. However, it was not in vain. I am proud of me for still standing. Or hunching over in pain. Whatever. 
She makes a brilliant point about it being lonely being yourself and not listening to others. I know for a fact that I am unique, just as you are, but if I had stayed with a particular group of friends, I would not be the super-amazing chic I am today. Or follow my passions and dreams. For instance, I can't count the times others have made fun of me for wearing mehndi or bindis , listening to Hindi music, having purple hair, etc. Someone will always have an issue with something you do. There will be someone that doesn't understand. I am not harming anyone. I do not use aspects of other cultures for my own gain or because I think it's "cool" or "trendy." On the contrary, I tend to gravitate toward things that is against the grain. Especially for my b.f.e town.  
She also brought up a another good point. Being your complete self assures you that the people that do love and care for you, love the real you! It comforts me to know the people I surround myself with, and actually let see glimpses of the real me, really love me for who I am. 

No comments:

Post a Comment